Thursday 5 April 2012

Little did I know what was to come!

Slam...I jump up startled, In the dark, sitting upright clutching the edge of the of the object I was sitting on, The sweat pouring down my back, Turning colder with every second I sat there, My eyes darting left to right slowly capturing what little light there was creeping in through the wooden blinds on the...On the what? I still hadn't figured out where I was, Unlike you reading this, being in a cognitively aware state  And just common sense would tell you that I'm in my bed in my room, In my apt building! But as of yet I was still in a state of fear, almost panic! The slow realisation starts to dawn, Iv'e been here before But a long time ago, Years ago even, When this was a regular occurence, When night terrors were what seemed to be an inevitable part of my life, I sat on the edge of my bed now with my feet on the floor breathing heavily....Remembering back to what I thought would be the toughest battle of my life...Little did I know what was to come!!
There was no treatment for such things back then,You just got on with it!  Facing my sister and my Father the next morning, Head down a little embarressed, Who am I kidding...It was humiliating! I hoped nothing would be said, But that depended on just how angry my Father was that morning, Not necessarily angry at me and my nightmares, Just angry, Fathers back then just seemed to be angry all the time...Thats what they did! I think it was their job?! So it was usually that approach followed by me shedding some tears, This would usually appeal to his nurchuring side and he'd comfort me The best way he knew how!I think there was a delay in our bonding experience, We  didn't hug or hold eachother We just weren't that kind of family! We just never learned how, You have to remember since  the split of our parents,  None of us knew what to do, Including my Father So I just wanted to not talk about it, and get out of the house as soon as I could, An escape if you like, One that suited us both...I think, It usually involved me heading  up to Mount Crozier tennis club to wait for the lads, I'd sit there alone sometimes and wonder were these night terrors a result of the marital break, Maybe seperation issues! I dont know.
Iv'e tried on numerous occasions over the years to figure it out And wondered was it simply too much for a juvenile mind to take on... alone.
 Your usually thrust into a situation thats completly alien to you, You know that soon enough the family dynamic you watched being eroded with the arguments of two people who were no in longer in love, Would soon culminate in a seperation of both flesh and property! I guess we all knew that we as a unit  would be split,  And as time progressed decisions were made and perhaps shared amongst the elders, I dont know! Like magic a slow division appeared between us kids, And soon it became apparent to My sister and I that we would be going to live with Our Father!....Yes it's far too much for a young mind to take in!!
It was an uncomfortable first day transistion sitting in his small cramped dark living room, Our bags still sitting next to us, Perhaps advertising the fact that the deal was not yet done, That perhaps we could yet be sent back! One thing was for sure He wasn't going to let this disrupt his routine, He sat there leaning towards the fire place holding his book in one hand and grasping his reading glasses and holding them to his face as he squinted to read by the fire light, I remember looking around to survey the room, Thinking how small everything was, The furniture was tiny, Trish and I were barely able sit on the couch together, There was one small print on the wall I don't recall the scene, In light of the surroundings  Im sure it was nothing too joyous! Then horror of all horrors, I realised what was missing,
 The one thing even back in those days of only one channel and six hours of daily viewing but were as crucial to a young developing mind then...As a laptop, An Iphone and the phrase OMG are concidered today! No TV! How would I survive, HOW? In hindsight, It was certainly for the best, I think our expectations back then were lower And until the day some months later when he actually walked in the front door with a TV under his arm, It too was tiny But anything else wouldn't have suited the scale of the furniture in the room, Genious...He had planned the whole thing!!He told us that he had rented it from  Maddens downtown for the princely sum of 49 pence per week, No deposit required! But for the moment, We sat there quietly not yet feeling welcome... He not knowing what to do And we not wanting to overstep the bounderies,I held back and took my leads from Trish, I think for dinner on our first  night we ate chocolate swiss roll....This was going to be great! 
And after all these thoughts had vanished, I sat there with my feet on the floor, Breathing heavily Still.... Feeling Parkinson's take hold,  Again,   Realising that I was now in the toughest battle of my life!
Regards Dave.

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff Dave, never knew that you were from a separated/divorced family, great writing, very descriptive and very visual, perfect combo! Keep up the great work and if I can tell you anything from writing it is that it does help, well done and looking forward to the next chapter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, little did we know back then what you were going through. As a father now myself, and one who always had the immense comfort of a warmhearted mother, I can only imagine the pain and loneliness you must have felt. And, reading these words that describe your ordeal, I also can only look in wonder and with respect at the fine man you have become. If it is through adversity we are made, then you stand head and shoulders above the crowd as a great source of inspiration.

    Keep up the blog my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also never knew of your Situation with your Mam and dad Dave,just want to tell you as we went to School together you were able to push that part of your life into the back of your mind ,and the reason I say that is because you never gave any inclination that you were unhappy,at that age that is some feat..nobody I think have a perfect upbringing or family,so rectify the things now that was never bestowed on you ,as Jim said ,us been parents you cannot help but squeeze the life out of your kids with hugs of love..the Air I Cobh them times effected all the fathers for different Reasons Dave,I love your blogs Dave ,so keep them Coming my friend,and God Bless you and Happy Easter..

    ReplyDelete